The Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship (MSDE) had launched Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Vikas Yojana (PMKVY) in the year 2015. The objective of this Skill Certification Scheme is to enable a large number of Indian youth to take up industry-relevant skill training that will help them in securing a better livelihood. Individuals with prior learning experience or skills will also be assessed and certified under the Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) component of the Scheme. RPL mainly focuses on the individuals engaged in unregulated sectors.
The Short Term Training imparted at PMKVY Training Centres (TCs) is expected to benefit candidates of Indian nationality who are either school/college dropouts or unemployed. Apart from providing training according to the National Skills Qualification Framework (NSQF), TCs shall also impart training in Soft Skills, Entrepreneurship, Financial and Digital Literacy. Duration of the training varies per job role, ranging between 150 and 300 hours. Upon successful completion of their assessment,candidates shall be provided placement assistance by Training Partners (TPs). Under PMKVY, the entire training and assessment fees are paid by the Government. Payouts shall be provided to theTPs in alignment with the Common Norms. Trainings imparted under the Short Term Training component of the Scheme shall be NSQF Level 5 and below.
The objective of this Scheme is to encourage and promote Skill Development for the youth throughout the country by aligning itself with the Common Norms guidelines. The scheme also needs to be aligned to complement all other Missions of the Government, such as make in India, Digital India, Swachh Bharat, and Smart Cities. Specifically, the Scheme aims to:
- Enable and mobilize a large number of youth to take up industry designed quality skill training, become employable and earn their livelihood.
- Increase productivity of the existing workforce, and align skill training with the actual needs of the country.
- Encourage standardisation of the Certification process and put in place the foundation for creating a registry of skills.
- Benefit 10 million youth over the period of four years (2016- 2020).
In line with the objectives stated above, this Scheme is applicable to any candidate of Indian nationality who:
- Is an unemployed youth or, school/college dropouts,
- Possesses an Aadhaar card and a bank account
- Has a verifiable alternate ID such as PAN or Voter ID (applicable only for the states of North-East region and J&K – Additional IDs may be added from time to time)
- Any other criteria, as defined by the SSCs for the respective job roles
PMKVY 2.0 Guidelines:
|Guidelines for Accreditation, Affiliation and Continuous Monitoring of Training Centres for the Skill Ecosystem|
|Branding and Communication Guidelines|
|Accreditation Standards Grading Metrics|
|Centre Accreditation Application Form (CAAF)|
|Job Role List for PMKVY (2016-2020)|
|SSC and Job Role-wise Equipment List|
|SSC and Job Role-wise Trainer Qualification Criteria|
|SSC and Job Role-wise Lab and Classroom Specification done|